Doesn't matter what level you start at, just start

9:45 PM
It has been so exciting to hear all the great comments about my new photography book! I'm so happy it is something that has been helpful and insightful for so many people.

It's important to me for people to understand that it doesn't matter at what level you begin. Learning about photography is a journey, no one starts out taking amazing pictures right off the bat. To give you even more motivation that you can truly learn to take wonderful pictures I wanted to show everyone some of my very early photography.

The following pictures are of my little girl, Maddie (on the left) with one of her long time friends, Miss A. I took these pics a little over 4 years ago. I was very new to digital photography and was just starting out. Nothing to write home about, right? Pretty hum drum. Yes, the girls are being adorable in the images but that's about the only thing going for it. They're out of focus, over exposed, and the subjects are plopped right in the middle of the image...there is no "wow" factor.








I took about 150 pictures that day all pretty bland and blah. The point I want to drive home by sharing these photos is that in order to get better at photography you have to being willing to make mistakes, lots of them. You must be open to taking 100's even 1000's of pictures so you can learn from your mistakes. Read up on how you can improve and what you can do better. (Check out my photography book, it's gets down to the nitty gritty of how to take great pictures.) Don't ever be intimidated by other people images. Use those images as inspiration and just keep taking pictures. Because one day you're going to wake up and realize somewhere in the midst of taking all those pictures you got REALLY good!



I had to leave you with one of my favorite recent images. This is Maddie today (on the right) and her brother, Lyndon. They're really good buddies.

Happy Photography journey to you!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the encouragement. I think I'll continue to begin!

Sophie said...

wow Katie, thanks for the encouragement! Love love love that final photo - love the zing of that orange and blue, the background frames and of course the beautiful children!!!

Lizzy said...

It is really encouraging to see how far you've come in such a short period of time.

Maddie has grown so much too!

Gina said...

The girls were so little...and before we learned how much better our photos could be. Congratulations on the success of the book!

Powered by Blogger.