What {NOT} to wear in family photos!

9:01 AM
What to wear, what to wear... 

This can certainly be one of the most time consuming and difficult parts of a family photo shoot. A few years back when I switched taking pictures with a fellow photographer, I put off getting our pictures done for MONTHS mainly because I just couldn't get the outfits together! Sad, I know.


So here are some Do's and Don'ts to keep things super easy and stunning...

This article has moved!!
Click here to read it now.

If the above link is acting wonkey, here's the direct link:

(I promise it's worth the extra click. really.)


7 comments:

Staci said...

Thanks so much for the tips. I shared with my readers on FB!!!

Sarah Harkins said...

My family of 19 (3 generations) took a family photo for a baptism. Although we were supposed to wear white for an outside shot, there ended up being bits of other colors in the photo. I think it is the best large family photo I have ever seen and everyone who sees it, loves it. You're right about too much matchy-matchy. But with our large group, we needed something to unite the group. I think we had just enough matchy with some variety in color. against the backdrop of the green grass and I think it turned out well. Here the link in case you are interested in seeing it: http://theclayrosarygirl.blogspot.com/2011/06/baptism-photos-professional-edition.html

thanks for all the tips! Love the one of about the sneakers! so true.

dana said...

this is so great. Love the outfits!

Anonymous said...

sneakers with khakis and white shirts...oh my. Great idea to not have everyone wearing the pop of color.

Unknown said...

I've been reading some Glamour Shots reviews in preparation to go in for our first family portraits, and we were all having trouble figuring out what we should wear. Thanks so much for this post, it was very helpful!

Unknown said...

Can a family of four wear plaid shirts... Mom in purple plaid and 6 year old in blue plaid.. Dad and 13 yr boy want plaid too but I am wondering if that would be too much... Maybe solid colors for them

Unknown said...

This is a good tip about taking portrait photography for family. Thanks!

Powered by Blogger.